Thursday, March 02, 2006

Typho: Monumental

Mt. Palpatine.
Mt. Palpatine.
Originally uploaded by Captain Typho.
Sculpture isn't my thing. I can draw okay, I can carry a tune and occasionally I can write something that a friend might like.

But sculpture?

Really hard to control.

However, I had what I thought was a great idea, so I picked up a chisel and started working on the stone.

Chip, chip, chip...

The fact that the Supreme Chancellor was going to be judging this wasn't lost on me. I've often been in the presence of the Chancellor with Senator Amidala, but I've never actually spoken to him one on one. This could be my big chance.

Chip, chip, chip...

I first got the idea I was trying to execute here on the tenth anniversary of the Trade Federation invasion. Everyone on Naboo was debating how the pivotal figures in the event should be honored.

Chip, chip, chip...

Commemorative coins. Stamps. A small statue in Theed.

Chip, chip, chip...

My take on it was, go big, or don't do it at all.

Chip, chip, chip...

Make something that people can see miles away.

Chip, chip, chip...

The original idea would've featured Padmé, Qui-Gon, Jar-Jar and Chancellor Palpatine, but for the miniature version I was creating today, the focus would be all on the Chacellor.

Chip, chip, chip... Aw, @#%!


I had been putting the final touches on the piece when the chisel slipped. One of the faces, the second from the left, was now, well, scarred.

Running out of time, I sanded it and smoothed it down as best I could. I carved a smile on the face, but, er, it looks a little... creepy.

Hopefully it's not too noticeable.

With the Chancellor approaching to judge my piece, I draped a cloth over my sculpture.

"And what have we here, Captain?" said the Chancellor.

Clearing my throat, I said threw off the cloth and said, "Behold! Mt. Palpatine! Maybe we can have something like this carved into the mountains outside of Theed one day, your Excellency."

I hope he likes it.

15 Comments:

Blogger flu said...

Thank you for not subjecting us to another wrinkly speedo reminder!

*glares at JRO*

7:10 PM  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

I hope her mom doesn't see this episode. That's all I'm saying. ;)

7:14 PM  
Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

That's very cool (and a little kiss-upish), but did you see that Jon's kiln went up to 11!!!! 11 Man, that is one hotter then 10

7:22 PM  
Blogger Lt. Cmdr Oneida said...

Whatever! At least I kept my bum-kissing subtle!!!

Well, more subtle than yours!

You're all just jealous you didn't think of the speedo idea :P

7:25 PM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

What's up with that one that's the second from the left? It's all cracked or something. Is that the Bizzaro Palpatine? It almost looks like a twisted, evil version of the Chancelor.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

Jardena, why are you thinking about the Chancellor's speedos? That's the real question.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

Jon, it was a "sculpting malfunction."

7:40 PM  
Blogger flu said...

LOL... Jon apparently just checks out the pics and skips over those unimportant 'word' things

7:44 PM  
Blogger Lt. Cmdr Oneida said...

*leans over and smacks Fluke on the arm* Don't pick on Jon!

And I wasn't thinking of Palpatine in speedos, for your information, I was thinking of....*realizes people are looking at her funny* Uhhhhh, nevermind

7:51 PM  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

Looks at Jardena funny.

8:04 PM  
Blogger flu said...

*rubs arm and looks at Jardena funny*

8:11 PM  
Blogger Lt. Cmdr Oneida said...

*sticks her tongue out at Typho and Fluke*

hmph!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

*Shakes head and opens a beer*

I did read it Fluke. I understand there was chisel slippage. Are you accusing me of smooching goobers again?

3:24 AM  
Blogger Vampirella said...

I like the speedos as long as Palpatine doesnt wear them

6:36 AM  
Blogger JawaJuice said...

Wait! Are you saying that second one is NOT Jar Jar?

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home